There is a moment every Monroe winter when you can’t seem to find the root of the draft in your home. It could potentially be emanating from a window that isn’t shut or sealed correctly. Even the smallest of cracks can make homes unpleasant and chilly, potentially resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Increased heating and cooling costs
As per the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with properly sealed windows. To help cut back and decrease drafty air from passing through your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts might be located and why. Here are some helpful tips to identify your Monroe home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Examine for gaps and fractures in unusual locations of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the typical windows with operable capabilities and use a simple visual inspection.
- Check to guarantee that windows and doors are sealed and latched.
- Make sure that the sealant or gasket by the operable portion of the window or door is correctly sealing.
- Check the installation by determining if the draft is passing through the window or around the window, between the window and the coarse opening. A window will only perform as well as it is installed.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Monroe to have them perform a home energy audit.
Once you’ve found where the draft or air leakage is originating from, the next step is to concentrate on the cause of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Monroe a call at 203-295-4486 with any additional questions or prospective replacement needs.